Lottarock Farm

Lottarock Farm

07 May 2010

Life's a Beach!


Life's a Beach


In two days we'll be ensconced in our new digs and we are chomping at the bit. In the meantime, we have been greatly enjoying the fine weather and balmy temperatures. It has been above average, but very nice, averaging about 76F and nights have dropped down to the upper 50s. There has been a huge high over the center of the country so the winds have been southwesterly, bringing the warmth. The ocean temps are great too, about 73F.


We've slightly explored the area, there is so much to see, and have found a great place for photographing sunrises and perhaps sunsets. When we are in our own place, I'll go out and check them out. It is great being with our friends, but I feel awkward trying not to wake them as I get out of the place to go shoot. As we'll be here in Suffolk Park for months, I'm sure I'll have ample time to find and shoot from some great vantage points.


Getting used to the animal, primarily bird and bat, noises, takes some time. There can be quite a racket at night, especially when the fruit bats, a.k.a. flying foxes, are at it. They are huge, about the size of a small cat in body with six foot wing spans, and they are loud! There is one hanging in a tree not 50 feet from me. I think it is trying to claim the backyard as its domain, thus all the squabbling and screeching at night. No one ever said Australia was quiet.


On Thursday we went to our first Byron farmers market of our season. I say our season because the market here is twice a week, all year round. Just because it's winter here doesn't mean that the markets are slow. The products ranged from vegetable seedlings, a few coffee venders selling their coffee, whole bean, ground or poured into a cup for your enjoyment. There were beautiful vine ripened tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers and summer squash, a few bread vendors, two local cheese producers, and a local winery. Oh yes, then there were the oranges, bananas, lemons, mandarines, all of this and more grown and produced within an hours distance of the market. It was so hard not to shop, but by next weeks market, I will have our own kitchen. I think that I will be able to do almost all of our food shopping just at the market alone.


I am hoping that the front terrace of our townhouse has enough sun during the day so I can grow a few pots of herbs for the kitchen. I am also planning on putting a few pots of plants around for some color and for something for me to play with. The back yard is nicely landscaped, but the front just needs some zing. When we move out in Sept. I will just bring the pots down the road to Greg and Christines and they can plant them in their garden to enjoy. Oh this is just getting so exciting.


Kite surfer at Sharpe's Beach

Horse riders on Seven MIle Beach

Sunrise on Tallow Beach


Sharpe's Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment